During winter break I was doing some running around with my mother back in Ohio and one of the places we stopped at was her bank. As I was waiting I saw a very familiar designed sculpture. The cast aluminum panels for the bank were designed, cast and installed by Akron, Ohio sculptor Don Drumm. I would say he is the reason I got into sculpture in the first place. Designing such large sculptures that were cast and welded aluminum in the early sixties was very progressive as the ability to weld aluminum and have your own foundry was a feat within itself.
These relief sculptures are at a local bank in downtown Canton and were commissioned for the original bank for its grand opening in the sixties, I can’t remember that name of the original bank; sorry.
Three examples from the fall Iron Pour. In the preparation post (before the pour) you can see a couple of the students making the molds for their castings. The one gallon oil jug that was cast solid, very heavy and all the detail from the side measurements came out in the casting. Student then painted imagery on both sides of the casting and clear coated the entire work.
This casting is a perfect example of early production metal casting in a two-part sand mold. Meaning, the top knife is made out of wood, in metal casting terms is called a “pattern.” The bottom is the finished result in iron, but is visibly smaller that the original. This is because iron has .5 to 2% shrink rate from molten to solidified state aside from the finish work the removed a certain portion of the casting.
As upper level students in Sculpture finished up the semester with their video projection project, this one was very strong in its presentation and use of materials. The use of sound had to be incorporated into the project. So this student used a basin of water (mounted above, out of view) with pieces of cord running from it down to the floor. The cord had a knot right over a pan to stop the water from continuing and drop into a pan. I felt this was a great way of dealing with sound as this student stated during critique that the pre-recorded version did not have the same impact as real water dripping in the space; I agree.
As I have taught this project for a while now, I had always run it as a group project. For the most part students dug in and turned out some great results. This semester we as a class had some healthy debate over making it an independent project. I heard the arguments and stated that it this was fine, but as a group, greater things could be accomplished.
These two works are good examples using the time frame normally meant for a class to be divided into half or fourths. So I commend these two student as this is all made out of marsh grass from the ocean that would wash up on the shore. Both had to go collect the reeds (grass), dry it out and then install it over a four class period.